Text of Suu Kyi’s Letter to Than Shwe
(Unofficial Translation by Chinland Guardian)
Senior General Than Shwe
The State Peace and Development Council
Date 11 November 2009
Re: Following Up on Matters Regarding the Lifting on Punitive Sanctions Placed on the Country
1. I thank the State Peace and Development Council for making arrangements to enable the meeting between political organizations and the visiting American State Department officials led by Assistant Secretary of State Mr. Kurt Campbell.
2. I am also thankful to the State Peace and Development Council for facilitating the necessary arrangements regarding my request to have more information about the sanctions and my desire to cooperate with the SPDC in having the sanctions on Burma lifted.
3. I hope to be able to work for the benefits of our country in other matters through my cooperation with the State Peace and Development Council.
4. With the view to more effectively execute the functions of the National League for Democracy, it is my desire to have members of the party’s Executive Committee over at my house for a meeting. I would also like to have the permission to pay personal visits to my respects to party Chairman U Aung Shwe, Secretary U Lwin and Executive Committee member U Lun Tin who are confined to their homes due to health reasons. In this regard, I earnestly request that necessary arrangements be made to enable the party to agree on a consensus at the Executive Committee meeting at my house, duly attended by (1) Vice Chairman U Tin Oo, (2) General Secretary Aung San Suu Kyi [self], EC members (3) U Win Tin (4) U Khin Maung Swe, (5) U Than Htun, (6) U Soe Myint, (7) U Hla Pe, (8) U Nyunt Wei.
5. I would like to state that I am willing to cooperate with the State Peace and Development Council in working together for the benefit of the country after my meeting with Executive Committee members of the National League for Democracy.
6. In relation to my willingness to cooperate with the State Peace and Development Council in working for the benefit of the country, I would like to earnestly request a meeting with Senior General Than Shwe.
(Daw Aung San Suu Kyi)